Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

"The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men - from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Mark got up with the baby and the dogs and started to make breakfast.  I wanted to hunker down in bed and catch another hour of sleep but, you can't make breakfast and keep an eye on a very active 11-month old at the same time.  You'll be frying bacon and in a blink, you look over and Mercer is smiling at you from across the room while precariously balancing on one foot on the top of Lu's head.  The child has NO FEAR.

It take a village to raise a toddler and that is the exact place that we're at right now.  As I lay there under the covers bargaining for one more "Z", I could hear Mercer rifling through the stuff on Mark's bedside table and before he could purchase a $4 App for Mark's cell, I fell out of bed, swooped him up and plopped him in his high chair in an effort to start the day. It was at this moment that I realized that it's no longer "All About Me"...I am no longer Queen of my Castle; I am the wet nurse to the future King.  
Momma & Mercer - Mother's Day 2011

And this is what Mother's Day is all about, right?  It's the celebration of all the women who have made sacrifices to make us who we are today.  So, Mermie just remember all of this when you're choosing my Assisted Living facility.  Please err on the side of extravagance - because I deserve it.

In all seriousness, I really had a great time celebrating my first year as a Mommy.  I received lots of well wishes from all sorts of people - some a total shock, even.  My son sent me tulips and my husband is sending me to the spa.  I was prepared a fabulous breakfast of my favorite indulgences (cinnamon buns, bacon and champagne) and got to have dinner at PF Changs (my favorite).  As I type this, I have to say that the downtime I'm enjoying right now may be one of my favorite gifts....LOL.  It's ironic - I wanted children for so long and I absolutely adore my son.  He makes my heart expand every time he smiles.  Yet, after a day full of Mermie, the peace that one finds in quiet is utopia.  And I'm enjoying utopia with a side of Blue Moon, as I tickle the keys of my laptop.

Mercer's Tulips & Card

So, Happy Mother's Day to Me!  

But, enough about me.  Below are "Confidentials" to some of the women in my life - mothers or not.  Thank you for being you and loving me for being me.  XOXOXOXO

To my Mom - who reminds me every time I see her, although not directly, that I should NEVER take myself too seriously.  It's not that I'm not important.  It's just that life's too short to walk around with a stick up your ass.  I love you for your compassion, your outgoing personality, your uninhibited free spirit, your faith and your dedication to your family (especially your Grandson). You would think that the15 years of my childhood that I spent looking for your keys, glasses and purse would have somehow imparted a need in me to be organized with my own things.  And yet, here I am, following in your footsteps and just  like you - annoying my husband in the process.  Love ya!  PS -  TURTLE SANDBOX

To my Grandmothers - two completely different women whose influence on me as an adult cannot be denied.  June taught me that if the shoe fits then I should buy it.  And Fran taught me that there's nothing in the world that can't be talked out over a good bowl of (tomato) soup.  I find it totally adorable that they used to bend down to hug me when I was a child and now, as an adult, I have to do the same to hug them! 

To my Fairy Godmother - Yes, I have a Fairy Godmother...and by definition I'm spoiled.  Nuff said.

To Mercer's Bubby - Thank you for raising a son who is man-enough to be a "Mom" when he needs to be.  The love you have for your Grandbaby is undeniable and amazingly sweet.  It brings me such joy to watch you together.  Grandparenting looks good on you - you beam with happiness!

To my Nannie - I know you're there…you're the devil with the halo that sits on my shoulder and makes sarcastic remarks…I know that's you and I can hear you laughing….

To my Platoon-mates in the trenches of Motherhood (Heath Bar & Knickerbocker) - thanks for making this adventure in parenting that much more tolerable.  With you, I never have to question whether I'm normal.  I know I"m not, and I know you aren't either.    I love that we are always armed for battle with wine, sarcasm and hugs (awkward or not).  Our kids are so awesome - and I know it's because of how awesome we are.

To Mom T - Thank you for being such a wonderful friend and role model. I feel like you know better than anyone, the trials, tribulations and rewards of  having a career and raising a family.  You raised a good man, who is a good friend.  And I'm lucky to regard both of you as family.

To the Hens - I can only sum up you all by saying this:  Have you ever had a private medical matter that you're really embarrassed to talk to the doctor about it?  And once you get the courage up to explain it and the words tumble out of your mouth, you look up and the doctor is totally un-phased?  That Doctor is you.  I know that no matter what I'm going through, in the illicit pasts of you 5, atleast one of you has been there and done that.  It's a good thing to ride your coat tails.


JenStar and her boy enjoying the lush landscape

No comments:

Post a Comment