Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Tale of Two Grandmas

My People....My Flock...My Blog-o-sphere...I can hardly believe what happened to me over the past two weeks.  BOTH of my Grandmas came to visit me.  GrandmaS (with an "s").  PLURAL, as in TWO.   I have two Grandmas!   Do you know what this means, folks?

I'm sure you do.  They don't make shirts with the phrase, "If Mom says, NO.  Ask Grandma." stiched into the chest, for nothing.

Grandmas serve a unique purpose in the life of a 13/14 month old.  They exist to give me their undivided attention.  They exist to spoil me.  And, since they obviously go out of their way to do so, it's only polite that  I oblige them by eating up every second of it.  I'M HOOKED ON MY GRANDMAS.

Grandmom Lorraine visited first - I refer to her as "Grandmom".  She's so bubbly and fun.  I was so sick when she was visiting that I had to have breathing treatments.  She and Mom would sing Christmas carols to me to keep me entertained.  And let me tell you, while the two of them couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, I appreciated that they distracted me from the giant mask on my face and the medicine I was breathing into my lungs.  When I was feeling better, Grandma, Mom and Dad took me to get my hair cut.  I was nervous about wearing spikes on my head, but Grandmom reassured me by saying how, "sharp" I look.  I especially liked the time that Grandmom and I spent one on one.  My parents decided that they needed to re-live their youth and went to see a U2 concert. Grandma and I spent the night together, having dinner, playing and watching TV.  It was so perfect, Mom and Dad really don't know what they missed out on.  Although, they did seem to enjoy their music.  Mom couldn't stop "singing" (horribly) the following lyric, "You're the real thing.  Yeah, the real thing.   You're the real thing, even better than the real thing".  Of course, this lyric makes no sense to me, at all.  What happened to the classics like, "ROW ROW ROW your boat"?  I could listen to that for hours and I'm pretty sure that Grandma could, too (especially if I was singing it).
Me & My Grandmom...Pardon my Snots....


The next weekend, my Bubby came to visit.  That's what I call my Daddy's Mom.  Apparently, "Bubby" means Grandma in another language...I think it may be Chinese...but I'm not sure.
Bubby is my artsy Grandma.  We would sit together in the mornings and play with crayons.  I don't necessarily draw...I just like to vigorously dump all of my crayons out on the table and then put each back in the box, POINT DOWN.  I could do this for hours and she'd never tire of it.  Bubby is so patient with me.  Mom and Dad decided to shop for new cell phones which took FOREVER and Bubby just wheeled me around the store until I dozed off into dreamland. Bubby is always concerned that I didn't eat enough, so during her stay I got to try new foods, like shrimp!  Again, my parents, "needed a break", so they went out boozin' with Tommy & Ray's folks.  Bubby and I spent Saturday night chillin' at home, playing, "Where's Mercer?".  It's a really fun game. I never actually go anywhere, but she thinks I disappear and then reappear, so I just play along.  I really enjoyed making her laugh with all of my crazy toddler antics.

Brunching with Bubby

I've been coming down off of the Grandma High, over this past week and I think I'm back to my old self again.  But, I do miss BOTH of them, so very much.  Like I said before, I am one lucky man.  I have TWO fun, beautiful ladies who call me their Grandson.

GO ME!

XOXOXXO
Mercer

No comments:

Post a Comment