Sunday, August 7, 2011

Long Live Punk

I didn't think Mercer's hair was long.  I never planned to grow it out to Hair Band lengths (think Motley Crue - 1985).  I wasn't holding out on getting his haircut because it's some passage from baby-hood into adult-hood and I couldn't bare to accept that he's growing up.  I just thought that he didn't need it.  And when I asked Mark (who - I'll remind you, has NO HAIR) whether Mercer needed a trim, he'd say, "Cut what?  There's nothing to cut.  You're going to pay someone to cut his hair?  You must think money grows on trees".  (He kept talking...I stopped listening...this technique has saved our marriage).

I was fine with this.  I was actually excited about eventually get my little man's hair cut and styled for the first time and I was happy that we didn't have to rush it.  That all changed with one comment from a stranger.

I'm a frequent shopper in the florist department at Dierbergs and there is one employee who I encounter frequently.  She is always quite friendly and helpful.  I happened to have Mercer with me on this day and when she see us she says, "Well...look at that.  What a cute little baby....uhhh...what is it...a boy or a girl?  I can't tell because his hair is so long". 

I.  was.  shocked.  (Maybe I should stop dressing him in kilts outside the house...he is very pretty and people get confused so easily).

I, of course, recovered quickly, because I roll with all kinds of diplomacy.  I smiled wide and said, "ALL BOY....looks like it's time for a hair cut".  We both laughed uncomfortably and I kept walking.  Walking and thinking in my head..."Where the hell can I get this kid's hair chopped off, ASAP?"
 
This is the part of the story where I look in my crystal ball and see a salon in a land far, far away that caters to children's cuts.  Since it's 2011, the crystal ball has been replaced by Google and we found a cool little shop near by.

Below are the "Before" and "After" photos.

BEFORE
Needed to feel like a man, so he chose the Monster Jeep (with a little help from Daddy)
Definitely looking girly with those long tresses...

DURING
Enjoying the attention of some ladies as he gets his first trim
AFTER
Looking sharp...literally...with his new 'do

Can't deny it now...he's all boy, baby!
Mercer behaved quite well while sitting in a Monster Jeep, as a complete stranger buzzed around him with all sorts of cutting implements.  And of course, I couldn't resist having her style his hair into a mohawk.  Next time..he's getting blue tips.  How are we to pass on the true meaning of PUNK to the next generation without starting them this young?  Maybe we'll get his nose pierced for his 2nd birthday!!!  Hollar!

So...some post-scripts to my little tale:
1.  People, learn from the lady in Dierbergs.  If you don't know the sex of the child when encountering one, just say, "Oh - what a CUTE kiddo - you're so blessed".  This also works if the baby is ugly.  Don't put the parents on the defensive.  Because they could respond with something like, "That's a very nice haircut, ma'am.  My shop teacher  in high school, Mr. Sawhorse, wore his hair that same way!"  See?  Not nice, now, is it?
2.  Mark liked Mercer's hair after it was cut.  And of course he didn't complain about the cost, because Grandmom picked up the tab (Thanks Grandmom)!!!!
3.  There are people out there who cut their own kid's hair and I'm totally cool with your mad hairdresser skillz.  But, I know that unless we're doing a #1 on the clippers all over....I would have messed it up and made him the laughing stock of daycare.  I know my strengths - it's creating a style, not actually executing it.  Stop judging.
4.  It seems the mohawk suits him well.  He's come home from daycare with it styled like that a few times now.  Our little hellraiser...so adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment